Whether it’s black, green, or white, everyone is familiar with mold. Household mold has a musty odor and can appear in various colors on walls or other home surfaces. Mold can be harmless, unattractive, or even toxic. Some forms of mold can cause health problems ranging from an allergic reaction to a serious illness. Mold is a fungus that feeds off of moisture. If a home is poorly ventilated items that absorb moisture such as carpets, clothes and newspapers can further aid in the growth of mold in your house. While some household materials or items are able to absorb or dissipate moisture, if placed in the wrong room of a house, such as a bathroom, these areas can be a breeding ground for mold.
Carpet mold is difficult to clean. Left alone, this type of mold can cause extensive damage that requires the complete removal and replacement of the carpet. A homeowner can prevent the level of moisture damage in their house by having the plumbing, windows, and walls and roof free of any leaks or moisture buildup. To reduce moisture damage further, the drip pans in refrigerators and air conditioners should be kept clean and dry, and the toilet tanks and cold water pipes insulated to reduce condensation. Although these preventative tips may appear easy to do, they can be quite difficult to maintain. If not mitigated or controlled correctly, mold can continue to thrive and spread wherever moisture levels remain constant.
Mold removal should be taken seriously. People and animals risk inhaling mold particles if the homeowner does not remove the mold carefully and correctly.
Keep yourself and your family safe. If you have mold, call Quality Cleaning & Restoration, DKI, the water damage and restoration experts.